Rubberstampchat

Go Back   Rubberstampchat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:14 AM

Question ??'s stamping on pre-primed canvas

I purchased a multi pack of 5 X 7 pre-primed canvas boards a number of years ago. I used a couple of them and had issues so put the remainder in the back of the closet and moved on but would like to pull them out and use them. Here is my problem:

I used a combination of diluted acrylic paints for backgrounds and stamped with ink images. The ink stamped images kept disappearing, literally just faded away to nothing in a short period of time, month to months only. At first I though maybe I had stamped too soon after doing the background, maybe the canvas was still wet underneath and the moisture was wicking away the ink as it dried so I restamped everything. Mind you this would have been months later so moisture was no longer an issue but the stamping would disappear again, ended up restamping a number of times with the same result. I had to stamp on cardstock and cut out and glue my stamp images onto the canvas. Not the effect I had wanted, why bother with canvas if you are going to have to use cardstock anyway grrrr.

Has anyone else had experience with this? Would putting on a coat of Gesso first help with this, even though the canvas board is supposed to be pre primed? I didn't want to spend $$ on Gesso if it won't solve the problem but it's not that expensive if it will solve the issue, I just don't want another product sitting there that would never be used otherwise.

BTW, I used several different types of dye based inks, including PSX, Marvy, Sugarloaf (a water-proof permanent ink) and Ranger inks. I did not have Stazon so have not tried this but it wouldn't really help anyway as I want to be able to use color inks.

any ideas??
Old 03-25-2010, 07:39 AM

I too have a multipack of canvas and did buy a small jar of Gesso. I'd be interested in an answer to your question as I would be very disappointed if my stamping just disappeared. . .