Rubberstampchat

Go Back   Rubberstampchat > Library Archives > Guest Artist Archives > Ask MaryJo McGraw

Ask MaryJo McGraw Come on in and view the archives of our past visit with MaryJo McGraw.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:30 PM
RSMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanita2343 View Post
I will be using a pine like wood and drying time is an issue.
Juanita, if you used acrylic paints with your stamps, instead of inks, they dry fast. Is that an option?? I often use paints by applying to the stamp with a triangle make-up sponge. Squirt a dime-size puddle onto a waxy paper, then dab the blunt end of your sponge into the puddle. Tap up and down with the sponge off to the side to load your sponge well. Then "ink" your stamp. Because of the wide variety of colors and especially, metallics, you get a broader range than with inks - and a whole lot less expensive, too.

One caveat: you must quickly also wash your stamps. Usually I add a drop of "Extender" to my puddle and mix before tapping with the sponge, but that's because I want the open time to be longer so I don't have to worry about washing the stamps immediately. If you don't add extender, then washing your stamps quickly is important to get the paint off right away.

The paint coverage is excellent, it dries fast, and you don't have to heat-set.

Cheryl
Old 10-04-2008, 07:38 PM
maryjomcgraw.blogspot.com

On that soy ink...many of the stamp companies use the soy ink for indexing the tops (wood) of the stamps. It does come out beautifully but it does need a bit of curing, sunlight helps dramatically. MJ
Old 10-05-2008, 04:22 PM
RSC Owner & Admin

Many of us company owners use soy ink to index our wood for our stamp line. It gives a gorgeous shiny, crisp image but takes about 24 hours to dry.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:59 PM

Default Stamping on Wood-acrylic paints

[quote=cmcveigh;23827]Juanita, if you used acrylic paints with your stamps, instead of inks, they dry fast. Is that an option?? I often use paints by applying to the stamp with a triangle make-up sponge. Squirt a dime-size puddle onto a waxy paper, then dab the blunt end of your sponge into the puddle...
Thanks Cheryl. It's a good idea. Stamping isn't the point of the workshop I'm teaching so I need to keep it pretty simple. But I'll tuck your method away in the memory banks. Thanks again. Juanita
Old 10-07-2008, 06:02 PM

Default Stamping on wood-soy ink

[quote=maryjomcgraw;23832]On that soy ink...many of the stamp companies use the soy ink for indexing the tops (wood) of the stamps. It does come out beautifully but it does need a bit of curing, sunlight helps dramatically. MJ
Thanks to both of you regarding soy ink. I've ruled it out for my workshop purposes because of the drying time but personally I might try it because of the quality of the image. Juanita
Old 10-08-2008, 06:39 AM

All this talk has me curious, what brand-type ink is soy based?
Old 10-08-2008, 07:24 AM
maryjomcgraw.blogspot.com

Default You are welcome!

Hope this helps you out with your projects . Hey y'all get out those wooden Christmas ornaments from the last and get to stampin!
Old 10-15-2008, 04:36 AM

Maryjo I am the wood veneer man and I have an abundant supply of veneer some is paperthin and some is on posterboard (20)pt Would you like some of this material to play with? For all your wonderful insight I would like to gift some to you ? This is so neat and a honor to have such a publicized authority come answer our questions .
Thanks alot ,
Wood veneer man