Rubberstampchat

Go Back   Rubberstampchat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here. Not for tutorials that include self promotion or links to off site tutorials.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:38 PM

It's more that I started work at a stamp company, and have decided to pick up the hobby. They make mostly business related stamps (date stamps and such) although they can make anything I want but they are not interchangeable stamps the way a lot of the polymers and crafting stamps are. Plus I already knit and I want to start doing hand crafted cards to go with them when I give a present.

I got an inexpensive paper cutter, a paper creaser, some ink pads, some perfect pearls to give some pop, and of course some assorted card stock and stamps. I plan on trying out some things this weekend and attempting to learn more.

When I started knitting, I asked the knitters I knew what tools they used now that they couldn't knit without. People talked about stitchmarkers and row counters and although I didn't understand it at first I attempted to make it a part of my routine. Now that I'm doing more complicated lace patterns I completely understand the reasoning, and knowing that I needed to get into the habit before I actually NEEDED it made a huge difference.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:50 PM

i was just wondering if you had any specific wonderings,
Old 01-27-2012, 04:05 PM

Yeah, I over think things a lot.

Really I'm practicing at this point so that once I finish my latest shawl I can have the technique down. It is going to be featuring cherries since the shawl is made from black cherry colored yarn.

I'm planning on doing a card similar to this one but without the butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3annin3 View Post
i was just wondering if you had any specific wonderings,
Old 01-27-2012, 04:16 PM

nice
Old 01-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

This is a different type of embossing... you stamp on a glossy cardstock with a pigment ink and dump embossing powder over it... then you tap the back of the card to remove the excess embossing powder (one good reason to use clear ep) and then you heat it with a heatgun and like magic, it raises up... makes it real easy to color between the lines... LOL And yes Memento is great for copics.

http://vivalas.blogspot.com/
Old 01-28-2012, 02:40 AM

Don't fall into the trend hype. That is my best advice I can give. Be a stamping art and not a trend crafter. All the trends are overwhelming and honestly a lot are fads. You will have a craft room full of trends and be reaching for the same tools over and over again once you learn your style. Even when you branch out of your style you will still use your favorite tools.

The other best advice I was given. Buy a ream of Georgia Pacific Cardstock (WalMart- in the office supplies), Tsukinecko Versafine Black Ink & your favorite coloring medium. I chose color pencils. I bought a big box of Rose Art color pencils at WalMart for under $6. I also agree with Inky that 65lb cardstock is better for stamping. Even though I love my GP cardstock for a lot of things. I prefer lighter paper for stamping. GP is 110.

My other best advice I wish I had taken. I kick myself every day for not doing it. I am a frugal girl and this has been my most costly mistake. Don't buy the stamp pads without the reinkers. I wish I had listened to that. I thought "So, what if they dry up. I can get new colors." Banging my head on my desk. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Trust me the ink pads do dry up. You have a big project and your ink starts looking a little worse for wear. When I had a chance I bought all of SU's reinkers. I am not a demo or anything. I just really love the colors. Reinkers are great for techniques too and you can alter so many items with them. Reinkers frugal. Ink pads without reinkers not frugal.

I agree with everyone here. Good black inks are the key. I have several now. You will need several I am afraid when you get into more stamping techniques. I have StazOn Black for all my mediums that are not paper. StazOn is great for acetate and wood. Memento for Alcohol base markers. My precious Versafine ink for all my other inking. I just picked up a Brilliance Black Ink pad tonight. I have fallen in love. I think this will be my go to Pigment Black ink.

Agree about the clear embossing powder. I bought all the colors. I am brilliant like that, lol. Rolling eyes here. I wish I didn't. I only got them for a quarter each so no money really lost. I like clear the most. I mix glitter or Pearl Ex when I want some color.

SpideyCindy- I agree 100%. I love my foam mat. I can't live without it. I have a nice thick one I got at Michael's for under a $1.00. I love my CutterBee's too.

As you can see I am agreeing a lot, ROFL! I post before bed. I bet you all couldn't tell. This is tired writing.

My other advice don't buy every stamp because it's cute. Try to buy stamps that fit your personality and that can be used in several different ways. Flower stamps can be used in a variety of ways. Baby in a diaper probably not.

Stampo- That poor kitty!
Old 01-28-2012, 07:29 AM

Pastel chalks is another easy coloring medium - instant gratification because it is quick to do. A good thing for a "Newbie". The sets are available at most stores like Michaels (art supply dept), they are inexpensive and the learning curve is pratically nil. If you make a mistake, just erase it. Get a good eraser, one of the white plastic ones not the pink ones and/or an art gum eraser.

I also bought a cheap set of water colors when I started out, one step up though from the kiddies set of 8 colors. I used to use that a lot, water coloring is very relaxing.

One more though about the stamp mat, aka foam under your stamping: they are great for rubber stamps but tend to blur most clear stamping efforts. Just remember if you can see thru the stamp - no mat; if you can't then use some padding to helf get better results.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawniStamps View Post
It's more that I started work at a stamp company, and have decided to pick up the hobby. They make mostly business related stamps (date stamps and such) although they can make anything I want but they are not interchangeable stamps the way a lot of the polymers and crafting stamps are. Plus I already knit and I want to start doing hand crafted cards to go with them when I give a present.

I got an inexpensive paper cutter, a paper creaser, some ink pads, some perfect pearls to give some pop, and of course some assorted card stock and stamps. I plan on trying out some things this weekend and attempting to learn more.

When I started knitting, I asked the knitters I knew what tools they used now that they couldn't knit without. People talked about stitchmarkers and row counters and although I didn't understand it at first I attempted to make it a part of my routine. Now that I'm doing more complicated lace patterns I completely understand the reasoning, and knowing that I needed to get into the habit before I actually NEEDED it made a huge difference.
Ok google this stamp company if you ever want to blend the love of stamping and the giving of knitting gifts! "Kaspareks" they occasionally participate in the virtual conventions we have had here and used to list with RSC in the vendor listing, but do not know why they do not currently. Adorable stamps with knitting themes. Just a fyi.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Onward and upward!

Location: It's hard to live in the smoke when you've lived in the fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawniStamps View Post
1. That image made me giggle.
2. I'm going to have to look into embossing more. We sell embossers at Stamp-Connection but it doesn't sound like the same thing you are talking about. Ours are a metal clip with a positive and negative image that press the paper itself into different shapes and I don't have much experience with one.
There are two types of embossing: heat embossing and dry embossing. The tools Stamp-Connection sells are what are referred to as dry embossing.

To save on space and fundage, I recently have gone with Tim Holtz' Distress Inks because I found out (and it is true) that those inks stay wet enough long enough that they can be heat embossed.

Also, with heat embossing, you will need the following:

a heat gun (NOT a blow dryer) - this will heat the embossing powder and more or less weld it to the cardstock

pigment ink or Tim Holtz Distress ink - these will both stay wet enough long enough for the embossing powder to stick to

embossing powder

a folded piece of cardstock to tap the excess embossing powder onto and will assist in putting the excess back into it's original container

I'm not very adept to heat embossing, although I know the basics. I stick with heat setting the ink alone and that's good enough for me.

I wouldn't be without the following:

a bone folder
a variety of 80# cardstock (most inkjet printers will argue with it)
envelopes

I highly suggest that before you buy inks, papers, stamps and tools, try to narrow down what it is you want to achieve.

My favorites are coloring with my Prismacolor pencils and hand cutting images using my CutterBee scissors. Try not to spread yourself thin otherwise it can become quite overwhelming to the point of quitting. Been there done that. Not fun.

Where you are, there you are.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:57 AM

Thank you everyone! This is all great advice and I love it.

I have some card stock but I plan on getting some 80#, I didn't have black ink pads but I am taking some home now, and I do plan on keeping it simple with just stamps and some inks for now. I did my first Valentine's Day card and I will scan it in later and show it. I actually really liked how it turned out as it is nice and simple. This is so exciting!