Rubberstampchat

Go Back   Rubberstampchat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:09 AM

I was doing a happy dance reading this thread. You all store your stamps in Ziploc bags! I was told that was a no no. Don't even think about it. You will destroy your stamps. I don't have the room to unmount my stamps the political correct way, ROFL! I stuck them in ziploc bags. Stamps are not destroyed yet. I love my system. I have them all in categories. When I need a stamp I just grab my bag and go.

Ranger Inks- I have a few pads. I love Tim to pieces. He's just a sweetie. I know Tim is a geek. I am a geek. I know Tim is thinking how to make these things. I have to think how he's thinking of making these things. I got obsessed over how he made the Distress Inks. I pretty much figured it out. ! I don't buy his inks any more. What is really pathetic about this. I fell in love with his new Distress markers this year at CHA. Everyone is screaming in joy about the Eclips and the stamp sets. Me, Blah! I know how to do that already. Sorry Tim. I want your markers. My DH asked me the other day what Tim released that I wanted to hack, ROFL! He's not challenging me this year.

I am thinking of making my own SU ink pads instead of buying them. Does anybody else make their own ink pads? That would help a lot with crafting clutter.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:02 AM
Inky the Muse

I don't make my own pads, but I do repurpose them. I love my SU! spots & when they retired a gazzilion colors in 2010 & was not going to buy 4 new sets of spots (3 sets of 10 colors + 1 set of 8 colors) just to get the 15 of the 16 new colors new colors I needed. (I already had a spot from one of the returning In Colors) So I bought single dye ink spots (I refused to pay more than $1 for one lil pad.) & a couple of sets of other brand spots w/coupons & washed the ink out them. I then bleached the felt to neutralize any remaining ink & let them air dry. I printed new labels using addy labels & filled then with their new colors. I also made spots for the 2010 & 2011 In Colors as they aren't available in spot form. When SU colors retire I kept the markers, spots & refills. This way I can still use those colors with the matching card stock, dsp & embellishments, but not have to store big pads.

Also DO NOT throw away dried out pads that you can't get refills for! You can buy a refill in a close color & keep using it or wash it out & make a pad in a color you've been wanting. Refills are almost always cheaper than a new pad! Most stores don't carry refills as they are a pain to keep tidy on the shelves & they make more $ when you buy a new pad to replace a dried out one. However, there are many online stores that do carry the refills for the pads they sell. Wait for a sale, if you can, then stock up. Store your refills out of the sun & they can last for many years. I have some bottles that are 10+ years old & they work just fine.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:19 AM

My goodness! This thread sure "took off".

Lylacfey, I bought some zip bags at an office supply that are about the same width as quart bags you get at the grocery store but are twice as tall. I then cut a piece of glossy cardstock to fit inside. I can stamp on the non glossy side as my index and then stick my unmounteds onto the glossy side of the cs. Has been working fine for me but I've only been doing it for a couple of years. Only caution I would have and am wondering if this is why others had problems, make sure the stamps a completely dry before putting them back in the bags so you don't get mold/mildew on them.

Some of the stamps I have stored on CD cases are leaving marks on the case and are not as sticky now, so I figured the other way couldn't be any worse but it was CHEAP. That part I like Besides I actually bought the baggies when my dog broke her leg and I needed to use them up once she was better.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:21 PM
Inky the Muse

Glossy card stock may work for cling foam, but I can't recommend it for polymer stamps! I had bought some cd cases that turned out to be frosted inside & tried glossy card stock for the polys & they got stuck but good. I had to soak the paper off the stamps.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:57 PM

Good to know, thx Inky!! Is there really anything that dosen't mess them up though! I'm really glad to see the trend swinging back towards real rubber instead of clear.

If someone is looking for storage, a few places still have plastic xmas totes on clearance or they did earlier last week.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:14 PM

I am in!!!! I will start on my ink pads - why in the world do I have so many? It's been many years since I used any of my colorbox wheel things. They've got to be all dry and I have NO refills. They are probably at least 12 years old. Those things will be easy to get rid of.
My paper will be the hardest. I can't seem to keep it organized.....

my blog - a papercrafting journey
Old 01-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Onward and upward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinNancy View Post
I am in!!!! I will start on my ink pads - why in the world do I have so many? It's been many years since I used any of my colorbox wheel things. They've got to be all dry and I have NO refills. They are probably at least 12 years old. Those things will be easy to get rid of.
My paper will be the hardest. I can't seem to keep it organized.....
I have a small dresser type that I keep my papers in according to color: browns/creams, blacks/grays/whites, reds/pinks, yellows/oranges, greens/blues and purples. The other three draws hold mounted stamps and veneer. I've just realized that my empty Christmas card boxes for the biz will work well for my scraps of cardstock.

Where you are, there you are.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Onward and upward!

Thank you Stacy and Inky. Now I can mount my foam stamps and have indexing too!

Will pieces of overhead projector sheets work for clear stamps?

Where you are, there you are.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Inky the Muse

Well...maybe? Poly stamps left on the acetate steet they come on can form a bond that defies removal w/o risking a tear in the stamp. The cheaper the stamp, the more likely this is to happen. As for overhead projector acetate, I haven't tried it. A test with a poly stamp you don't mind risking may shed some light on whether this material will work for storage.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

Um my studio area is such a mess I packed a tote and brought my projects into the house to work on them and everyone is being grumbly about the clutter
I have got to clean up and toss out. I have some old color box as well that are probably crusty and useless...sigh... That would be the least of my clutter tho...
I pledge to clean up as soon as I make deadlines...sooner If I cannot find some of my stash!